Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Ole' Stink Eye.

Having a meltdown at work is a sure sign that it is time for me to have another women's empowerment meeting.  It drives me crazy that I can effortlessly inspire others to reach for their goals but when it comes to me, I have a meltdown.  This is the ironic scenario that has been playing over and over, reminiscent of the movie Groundhog Day.  I mean, why is it that I can have the creativity to create mix media collages, a handbag, a woman's inspirational group or even a blog?  Yet, when it comes to creating a tangible version of my ideal life the task morphs into some obscure foreign language that I do not comprehend.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if we were born with a set of blueprints that detailed exactly what it is we are meant to do?  If one more person asks me "What is it you want to do with your life?" I may just break out into a comical song and dance that will land me a starring role in the looney bin.

Since, the age of 15,  I have worked every kind of job you can imagine from McDonald's drive thru, numerous administrative jobs, design assistant,  showroom assistant, to a Deli, just to name a few.   Now, at the tender age of 32, I work in a retail environment and if it weren't for some of my amazing co-workers, there may have been numerous times where I would have driven right past my job until I ran out of gas.  That's actually a timely metaphor.  Whoever, coined the term 30 is the new 20 just set me back ten years, considering I could not wait to get out of my 20's.  Thank you, whoever you are.  As, I was under the impression that once I entered my 30's I was sure I would know what it is I was meant to do with my life.  I know I'm not the only one going through this.  Although, I must admit, putting it all out there does feel good.  I know what some of you may be thinking: "With the current economic status I should be grateful to even have a job."  Please allow me to respond.  It's not that I am not grateful, I am.  However, I cannot ignore the fact that my spirit is stifled and all of my creative energies are being consumed by a huge corporate dragon, which I have aptly named StinkEye. 

                          "Oh, StinkEye why do you loathe me so?"

     

2 comments:

  1. Omg, this blog is so relatable. I totally understand what you're saying. Also your writing is so plesant, you should write a book. You have such a good flow, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elkie, you have inspired me in more ways then you can imagine. Look at all the lives you have touched with your warm & generous spirit. Thank you!

    I almost forgot! DAMN THE MAN! HEE HEE

    ReplyDelete